New Year's Resolutions

 

Hi peeps and happy new year! We can now say au revoir to 2020 and move onto better things with 2021.

A big thing that comes with a new year is the act of making resolutions. For those that don't know a resolution is like a vow or goal to do something. Many in the new year set resolutions to exercise more, eat less chocolate, eat healthy, learn a new skill etc. 

However 80% fail what they set. Many lose motivation to continue their resolution. I believe this is because people don't set resolutions that are actually possible to achieve. They aren't possible because people set them too high so when they don't achieve it straight away they give up. Failing a resolution leads to less motivation in other parts of our lives because we believe if we couldn't complete a resolution how are we going to complete something else?

Part of me disagrees with resolutions, they just bring a downfall and can affect the rest of your year. However if they are set correctly, with a clear focus (not vague) and with step by step ways in order to achieve them or with a way to see your progress from the start I believe they do have a place.

For example if my new resolution is to learn a new language, first of all I need to make it more specific. So I can start by specifying what language and then how much progress by the end of the year I want to make because learning a new language is very broad - does it mean fluency? or just to be able to have a simple conversation? So the new resolution could be that by the end of the year I want to be able to have a conversation in french. Now I need an action plan, how long am I going to spend each week on it? how am I going to learn? how will I be able to check my progress? With all of these in mind I have a resolution that is clear and measurable making it more likely for me to be able to progress through the year because I can be motivated by my clear progress and I know I have an end goal in sight.

Do you have any resolutions this year? If so what are they?

Many don't set resolutions but make a bucket list for the year, this is a list of things that you want to do before the year is up. It could be things like go roller skating, go swimming or go shopping with friends. Maybe consider doing this as well, it will give you something to look forward to.

Thank you for reading, stay safe and keep on guiding!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing On Badges

Plastic Awareness